We’ve been working away on the BBRV all summer. Now that it’s almost time to put the tarp on for the winter, we thought it would be a good time for an update.
We discovered a small leak that needed patching and a section of ceiling panel that needed to be replaced as a result. A roof patching kit and a thin sheet of mahogany from the local lumber store will take care of that.
Painting in progress – old purple beige where the backsplash will go. White with black accents everywhere else!
In the meantime, we’ve been painting, painting, painting. I’ve really enjoyed sunny weekend mornings spent painting, with the breeze coming through the windows and Harold Budd/Brian Eno on the iPod. Four coats of white paint on the walls and two coats of black on the accent spots. The contrast is quite nice and the unfussy colours will let the items we’re selling pop rather than getting lost in the background. So now painting is essentially done – just a few little touch ups to do in the spring.
We also took our fabric out to a man who usually makes boat cushions – I love to sew, but my sewing machine can’t handle upholstery vinyl. They came out really well. We were worried that the cushion fabric wouldn’t match the curtain fabric, which was ordered online, but they’re a perfect fit! We set up a little test corner as a sneak peek of what things will look like when everything is finished and we’re pretty pleased with the result. It’s come a long way – here’s where we started from.
A taste of what the finished product will look like.